Xbox Series X Keeps Crashing?
The first wave of consoles landed November 12th and issues with random crashes and shutoffs have been prevalent since day 1.
So what exactly is the problem with your Xbox Series X and is there anyway you can fix it? We’ll help you understand the issues and steps you can take to resolve the problem.
Series X Fix Tips from the Community
These Xbox Series X troubleshooting tips are all sourced from gamers who have reported their issues on forums like Reddit & Activision.
These are not guaranteed to work, but maybe they will help in your situation.
- Making sure Auto HDR and other HDMI CEC-related toggles were unchecked.
- Try different televisions.
- Different outlets (direct to the wall vs connected to a surge protecting power strip)
- Placing the system in different positions and locations to improve airflow
- Completely powered down the system for a significant amount of time, then jumping immediately into one of the X|S games to try and test if the system is overheating,
- Resetting the console (not removing games and apps)
- Resetting the console (removing everything)
- Enrolling in the Insider Program (Omega ring) – (OS version 10.0.19041.5481)
- Resetting the console with the Insider OS installed.
- Leaving the Insider Program and installing a clean build of the launch date OS (OS 10.0.19041.4082)
- Removing and reinstalling problematic apps (including making sure the X|S-optimized version was install in the instance of Call of Duty Cold War).
Did any of these tips work for you? Share your experience with us in the comments.
Games With Reported Crashes & Issues
Here is a list of many of the reported issues with the Xbox Series X. Have you experienced any of these problems?
- 2K21 in the park or rec center (online)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- Star Wars Squadrons
- Gears Tactics
- Gears 5
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Are your crashes or shutdowns only happing when you are playing COD: Cold War? We have some steps for you to take that may or may not work for you.
There is no official information from Microsoft or Call of Duty yet addressing the crashes while playing / launching the game.
Install The Xbox Series X|S Optimized Version
If you had Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War pre-loaded before launch day, there is a good possibility that you have the Xbox One version installed.
There are 2 versions of X|S optimized games on the game store. One for the Xbox One & another for the Series X.
You can / will experience crashes if you are running the wrong version.
Completely uninstall the Xbox One version of COD from your console and re-install the X|S optimized version.
This is not a guaranteed fix and may not solve your specific issue, but some players have reported that this fixed their issue.
Disable Ray Tracing / HD Textures In The Settings
Once you have the optimized version of Cold War installed on your Xbox, head to the settings menu and disable “ray tracing”.
If you continue to have issues, you can also try disabling “HD Game Textures & Models”.
These are the only 2 suggestions currently available for troubling shooting random crashes on Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.
We hope this article was helpful to you and puts an end to your random shutdowns.
If nothing in this article was able to solve your problem, we will just have to wait for an official statement from Microsoft. Hopefully they will announce or release an update soon.
Check back later for updates on this issue.