How to Make a Fishing Rod in Minecraft

how to make a fishing rod in minecraft

Need help or guidance on how to make a fishing rod in Minecraft? In this guide we’ll show you everything you need to know about crafting & using the fishing rod.

Crafting the Fishing Rod

You can craft a fishing rod in Minecraft with 3 wooden sticks & 2 pieces of string on the crafting table.

  • To create sticks use any type of wooden planks on the crafting table.
  • To create string use cobwebs on the crafting table. Cobwebs provide a 1:1 ratio for string.

If you need a visual please refer to the crafting recipe below which shows you the ingredients & layout to create a fishing rod.

Catching a Fishing Rod

You can also acquire a fishing rod as a random chance from either “junk” or “treasure” catches while fishing in Minecraft.

Each game tick has an 85% chance to catch a fish, 10% chance to catch junk & a 5% chance to catch treasure.

  • Fishing rods acquired from junk are always damaged & unenchanted.
  • Fishing rods acquired from treasure are always enchanted at a random level between 22-30 but are also heavily damaged.

Trading with Journeymen

Fisherman villagers who are gold level (journeyman) sell enchanted fishing rods for 6 emeralds. These enchantments are equivalent to the same ones from the enchantment table at levels 5-19.

Natural Generation

Enchanted fishing rods can also be found naturally occurring within the Minecraft world. The only place to find them are within big & small ruins chests inside of underwater ruins.

Uses for the Fishing Rod

The fishing rod is pretty easy to craft but comes with some helpful features aside from the obvious (which is catching fish).

  • You can hook mobs, some entities & even other players with the fishing rod. You can then reel them into you which costs durability points.
  • Items can also be hooked & reeled in, but only in the Java Edition of Minecraft.
  • Fishing rods can also be used as fuel for smelting & cooking items.

That’s everything you need to know about how to make a fishing rod in Minecraft! Please feel free to drop a comment below if you have any questions or concerns.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *